Saturday, June 2, 2007

Small update - see frank for details

As the title says, this is going to be short. Frank wrote a fairly detailed entry so I don't need to retype that with internet time so expensive (50p for 30 min here, which converts to about US$1). Things are ok overall, some small mishaps, a few misdirections and wrong turns made the day interesting. A nice touristy couple gave us an extra map they had 2 days ago which has been amazingly helpful at finding our way. Streets here are poorly labeled, have multiple names [similar to rt45/york road back home, but usually labeled as one in directions, another by signs, and sometimes (if we are lucky) by both on the map] , change names many times, and have crazy intersections. We are getting used to the riding on the left well enough, but once a day or so I have to yell at Frank to stay left... :-0

We have stayed at 2 hostels so far, Hostel 639 for Frank's first and second (his second was my first), then at the Globetrotter Inn London for a night (639 was booked up) but back here (at the 639) last night and maybe tonite...They both have been good, I like the 639 a little better (better price, similar atmospheres, plus we've become friends with a few of the staff/long term people here and been hanging out with them alot.

It is a small world. Yesterday we met people from Frederick being touristy in London, then last night when we were hanging out in one of the staff's rooms, one of the other roommates, "the american one" came back, and we found out she (Erin Baxter) just graduated from Maryland in December, as a technical theatre major. She not only knew my older sister (Maribeth), but she was the one who got her into stage managing. Then this morning at breakfast, one of the kids next to us was wearing a Maryland Day shirt and we found out the group of 3 guys just graduated from Maryland and lived 2 streets over from Frank. Sometimes I forget how far from home I really am.

Sorry to everyone I said I would email, I am working on it still, too much to do in such limited time. Leave a comment if you want a postcard from somewhere!

That's all for now, read up on Frank's for touristy details.

1 comment:

emmbeecee said...

you know, the way you phrased that makes it sound like erin got me into stage management. just sayin.

sounds like you're having fun. hi to frank from me.